Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day Eleven: Only 21 more sunsets

So today I am starting my countdown to my mini-vacation! The summer always comes to quite a bitter end for me, so the excitement I feel when winter is coming to an end and summer is coming back around is almost tangible. Almost as soon as spring has sprung I start dreaming of the lake. My family owns a tiny little cottage on a lake in Maine and I try and go up as many weekends as I can during the summer. There is no other place that I can go where I feel like I could do nothing but sit and just be still and it is perfectly acceptable. I can shut my brain down and it doesn't feel strange. There is no cable, no internet, and spotty cellphone reception. The carpet is straight out of the 1970's, none of the furniture matches, and the windows practically scream at you when you pry them open. There is one bedroom with a bed that you have to stay perfectly still on through the night or you will find yourself unexpectedly on the floor. The living/dining room has three couches and a love seat, none of which are particularly comfortable, and a large floor space. It also only has 1 bathroom, yet somehow last year we fit 10 girls in this place, and I can tell you I have never felt more at peace or had more fun. The night there is quiet and the sky is bright. I forget how many stars you can see when you are away from the city lights. We fill the nights with board games, bonfires, and quiet talks by the lake. My summers as a child were spent here and there is a lot of my love for this tiny little cottage that comes from nostalgia. Just take a few moments and check out the sunset on the lake and you will see why this place, for me, is perfection. 
I love sunsets because they are constantly changing. So many different colors light up the sky and you never know from one minute to the next what is going to happen!
Fires by the lake are awesome! We roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Everyone smells of wood smoke and bug spray, but we laugh, tell stories, and make plans for the next day. 
 Mornings are quiet on the lake.  
Sometimes they are super foggy like this morning. Most foggy mornings clear up into beautifully sunny days. 

Only 21 more days to go before I am lake bound with my friends! Hopefully now you can see why I am so excited for the start of Summer!


Dreaming of being lakeside,


Traci 






No comments:

Post a Comment