Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day Four: A puddle of emotions

    Another dreary day here in the Northeast makes me long for the days of flip-flops and sunglasses; the smell of a Summer ocean can put a smile on my face quicker than anything else in the world. :)

  I'll warn you in advance: this post has a LOT of photos today. I simply couldn't choose just a few; I had to include all of them. Of course, that's one of the many problems of a camera addict (that's what I call myself). I play with the settings of my camera, and on Monday, I switched out my lenses so that my pictures were more up close and personal. I used my 55-200mm lens and the shots I got were just shy of perfect, which what I think makes them great!

The other day, I was chatting with Traci, my co-conspirator in this blog and discussed the validity of dandelions as weeds. Although the general public condemns them, we both agreed that they a certain aura of peacefulness about them. Of course, you can judge for yourself...


 


There's something about a field of dandelions that makes me feel like a kid again.



I drove out to the lake with the extended lens attached to my DSLR and the beauty that surrounded me was simply amazing. It was so uncrowded that I actually took my time finding the right words I wanted to say with my camera. To understand this, you have to understand that I live in a seasonal town. The year-round population runs right around 2000, but in the summer season, you can easily find 10,000 people in the area at a given time. So when the weather first begins to turn warm, I enjoy hitting all my favorite photo spots before the tourists come in and crowd it up.

A boatless dock makes for an intriguing photo op.



 I've often wondered what it would be like to live in a house like this one... Right on a lake but secluded from the outside world.






The following two photos are of a goose and a loon, respectively.
The goose, while an elegant and graceful bird, can be mean and determined. I distinctly remember my sister getting chased down by a few of them when we were kids. It's one of the funniest stories in our family (especially since she was thirteen!).
The loon is another extraordinary creature. It swims underwater and usually you only see it for a few seconds on the top of the water before it dives underneath the water again to swim.


The following photo water taken from above the rocks covered in water. The result was an almost misty haze over the rocks and I liked the rough textures the rocks added to the photo.



 I had to really consider what I wanted when taking this picture.
The sun was only peeking in through the large tree, making for some interesting and fun shadows.





When I look at the following pictures, I'm reminded of my childhood; the dock creates an imagery of a child's innocence and relative carefree attitude. If only the rest of us could continue to see the world through a child's eye as we grow up. The large rock-cliff also speaks to my inner child: I could imagine grabbing a rope swing off that rock and swinging into the water.  









 These tulips were just really pretty and I had to include them, in full bloom.



And on that note, I hope you all have a fantastic Wednesday. Come back tomorrow for another photo session with Traci.




<3 / Dawn






No comments:

Post a Comment